Thursday, May 1, 2014

Living with the Last Sea Gypsies in Indonesia

Generations of living underwater have endowed the Bajau tribe of Sea Gypsies with mysterious abilities to see clearly without goggles and reduce oxygen consumption to a tiny fraction of normal levels. Brad abandons all of his possessions to live as a gypsy and witness their secrets.
He must learn their ways to survive.


I wake before dawn, my cheekbone smashed against the bare floorboards where I slept. As my eyes focus, I see my drool drip through a gap in the floor, piercing the black, mercurial ocean water below me. Hunger pangs from days of malnourishment remind me that the key to surviving this day lies under that water and I must try again. Stumbling to my feet, my hips and knees throb as my blood circulates again.
A faint blue light filters up through the floor, dancing on a rusted clock that has never worked and a doorway that has never held a door. Barefoot, I stumble outside over a pile of fish bones. I sit on the edge of the weathered porch where fish parts are dried, the only way of preservation on the fringes of the known world.

See the rest of this award-winning story here: Living with Sea Gypsies

See the rest of the myWanderlist travel blog that was named: Best New Travel Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment